2019-08-22, at 11:36 local, 21:36 UTC: Hawaiian Airlines, A321neo; Emergency landing and evacuation; Smoke on board
Source: Glen Westenskow
- Hawaiian Airlines (HA), Oakland (OAK) to Honolulu (HNL), Flight HA47, A321neo, N218HA landing on runway 04 right.
- About 21:13: Top of Descent: Smoke starts to fill cabin i.e. when thrust setting changed (see altitude graph below).
- Pilots donned their oxygen masks.
- About 21:16:
- Pilots received a fire warning from the cargo compartment and released Halon into the compartment to depress the potential fire.
- "The captain declared an in-flight emergency and notified airport personnel that there may be a fire on board" said Hawaiian Airlines Chief Operating Officer Jon Snook in a media briefing.
- After landing there was "no visible evidence of fire, no visible flames" said Snook.
- NTSB will be notified.
- "We have since determined that a seal failed in the aircraft’s left engine" said Hawaiian Airlines Alex Da Silva.
- Seven passengers were taken to hospitals with smoke related symptoms.
- Source: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com
- The FAA said it will investigate the incident.
- Source: https://www.staradvertiser.com